Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Healthy Weight Trick

The Australian series of The Biggest Loser has just started, and as usual, it inspires me to kick my weight loss plans into action (even if only temporarily lol). This time round, though, I am pregnant, so no diets for me. However, for this entire pregnancy, I have been very careful about not gaining too much weight, for three reasons. Firstly, I have a family history of diabetes and secondly, I was overweight to start withso my OB-GYN recommended that I keep my weight gain to around 10kgs (22lbs) to avoid gestational diabetes (which my mother had carrying me); thirdly, I didn't lose the baby weight last time, so I didn't want to gain too much weight this time around. So far. i have done really well, and at 34 weeks, I have gained about 7kgs, so I am on track.

One of the ways I have achieved this is by cutting out soda (almost) completely. I hate drinking plain water (and we even have a great water filter built into our sink!) so initially I found this really hard. But after going to a cafe where they always have water flavoured with various natural ingredients such as lemon and orange slices, I started doing that, too. So now my fridge always has two jugs of water ready to go with flavour. Citrus is the obvious choice (lemon, limes and oranges by themselves or mixed), but green apple slices and cucumber slices are also divine, especially in the heat that we have been experiencing here in Perth.

I would love to hear some more weight loss tricks, or some more flavouring ideas!

3 comments:

Steve & Margaret said...

(I'm a new reader)
I have also never lost my baby weight and am possibly pregnant with a second baby... this is after my New Year's Resolution to lost weight. So, two of my tricks are to work out every night, alternating between aerobic and strengthening exercises, (my faves are spinning and Pilates) and to write down everything I eat. It's not worth it to snack on something if I have to write it on my chart where everyone can see it. :)
Also, if you do want something sweet, "they say" to make it something fabulous, so you don't eat two or three things because it wasn't what you craved.

Good luck with your baby! How exciting!

Chic Mummy said...

Journalling what you eat is definitely a winning idea! I used to write down everything I ate when i followed weight watchers, and it worked very well. This is a tip I will absolutely be using after bub no 2 comes along.

Polly said...

Hi Sarah. I always loved being pregnant and felt at my best.
My last pregnancy was at age 38 - it was my 4th baby. I was already about 20lbs over my ideal weight. I'm not very tall - and so decided that I couldn't eat anything that wasn't essential - no extra calories. I focused on whole foods, lots of green salads. I'm not a pop drinker anyway. Since I was having a homebirth, I really wanted optimum nutrition. With all my pregnancies, I followed Dr. Tom Brewer's recommendation of 80 g protein per day, and took lots of walks in the fresh air, and naps too. Brewer's book is excellent. I took a good vitamin and a "green drink" - a chlorophyll powder from the health food store.

If you want to journal, Fitday.com is my favorite free website for doing do.

Happy baby growing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Site Designed by Shabby Creations