Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Cooking from your pantry - Recipe

Last night I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer to defrost, and I didn't want to take the kids down to the store as it was pouring with rain today, so I was kinda stumped as to what i was going to cook for dinner. Inspired by a number of people on some of the message boards I am part of, I decided to shop my pantry and create a meal from the ingredients I had on hand. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with the wonderful (if I do say so myself!) meal that I came up with. Not only was it delicious, but it was very healthy, and was a vegetarian meal that my DH actually enjoyed, which is no easy task given that he is a born carnivore.

Vegetarian Chili with Rice Pilaf

Saute 2 finely chopped brown onions and 6 cloves of garlic over medium heat in a non stick pan until translucent (about 3 minutes). Remove half of the onion and place in a medium saucepan and set aside. Add three tins of chopped tomatoes, 1 jar of salsa and 2 teaspoons of Mexican seasoning (or to taste). Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.

Add 2 cans of beans (I used 1 can of red kidney beans, and 1 can of cannelini beans) as well as two roughly chopped green capsicums/peppers and half a bag of frozen corn kernels. Simmer for about 30 minutes until thickened.

Meanwhile, place saucepan with reserved onion over medium high heat and when starting to sizzle again, stir through 1 cup arborio rice. Cook for one minute. Add in half a cup of white wine and 4 cups of chicken stock/broth as well as two bay leaves, a teaspoon of tumeric and 1/2 teaspoon of Mexican seasoning. Simmer over very low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is cooked.

I served these with a dollop of lite sour cream, a sprinkling of grated cheese and some avocado salsa made from 1 chopped avocado, 1 chopped tomato (seeds removed), the juice of half a lime and a good shake of Tabasco sauce.

What great meals have you made from your pantry? I would love to hear all of your ideas!

post signature

4 comments:

Jane said...

I love the look of this dish I will give it a try!

Jane said...

Forgot to say my staple store cupboard meal which my husband and all (miracle!) four children enjoy is Pesto and Chicken Pasta. I am vegi so use quorn.
Boil up enough pasta. At the same time saute some chunks of chicken breast or quorn.
When pasta and chicken/quorn is done add to pasta. Toss in some pesto sauce and a little cream. Then put in an ovenproof dish sprinkle with cheese and grill.

Chic Mummy said...

That chicken and pesto pasta sounds delicious! I've got some chicken breast in the freezer, so i'm thinking that this will be a quick and easy dinner for tomorrow night.

JES said...

This looks delicious! I love pantry meal inspiration because we are far from a grocery store and it seems I am often shopping in my pantry! Thanks for sharing :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Site Designed by Shabby Creations