A lot of people, including me, often struggle to get their quota of fruit and veg. Health authorities recommend that adults eat at least two serves of fruit, and five serves of veges every day, but how may of us achieve that on a daily basis?
Here are some tips on how you can get your two and five:
- have at least two vegetarian meals a week (such as a vegetable and tofu stirfry, or bean chili).
- make a big pot of vegetable soup and freeze it in single portions for quick and easy meals. One portion can often have three or four servings of vegetables. Have the soup as an appetiser - research has shown that having soup prior to your main course can significantly reduce the total calories you consume at that meal.
- ask for extra salad in your roll or burger; even better, have a salad instead!
- slice up fruit and veges and keep in the fridge. If they are there and ready to eat, you will probably eat them.
- Toss some leftover roasted veges into some baby spinach for a tasty salad.
- Layer frozen berries, low fat yogurt and some granola for a quick and tasty dessert or breakfast.