I think that it is really important to involve children in the running of the home so I like to involve Stephen and Irini in some of the easy chores suitable for toddlers. Since they are still very little, only 2 & 3, I can't expect too much, but there are a number of things that they do to help around the house, even if I have to redo part of it after they go to bed.
- Loading and emptying the washing machine - we have a front loader and one of Irini's favourite jobs is putting the sorted dirty laundry into the machine, and then pulling out the washed laundry into the basket for me to hang up or put in the dryer.
- Sweeping the floors - one of Stephen's jobs is to sweep our living room rug with the carpet sweeper. These do a great "in-between-vacuuming" job of picking up crumbs etc from the rug.
- Bringing dirty dishes to the kitchen - both are responsible for bringing their dirty plates and cups from the table to the sink in the kitchen.
- Putting their own rubbish in the bin - when they have finished their yoghurt or anything else that comes in disposable packaging (which is less and less), they have to put their own rubbish in the bin.
- Getting their own water - I know this is not a "chore" per se, but it is a great way to foster their independence. I have all our cups in a draw within their reach, and they know to get the plastic cups. I have a stool at or nearby the sink, and Stephen knows how to reach the water filter tap. Whenever he comes to me saying he is thirsty, I always direct him to go and get his own. He is also responsible for pouring a glass for Irini, since she can't reach yet.
What chores are your toddlers doing around the house?