Getting kids to eat their fruits and veggies can be a challenge at the best of times. I am lucky that Stephen loves apples, strawberries and blueberries, as well as cucumbers and grape tomatoes. Irini loves bananas and apples, and carrots and red peppers. Even so, I still want to make sure they get a wider range than this. Here are 5 quick and easy fruit and veggie snacks that are winners with both of mine!
- Smoothies - an oldie but a goodie. I can put all sorts of fruits, and even veggies, into the kids' smoothies. Check out my Power Me Up Smoothie recipe for one jam packed full - it even includes spinach and the kids still love it!
- Yoghurt Parfaits - simply layer yoghurt (homemade is even better), fresh or stewed fruit, and something crunchy like nuts or granola. Delish!
- Homemade pizzas - I make my own wholemeal pizza dough and store it in the freezer for quick and easy snacks. Top with pizza sauce, a heap of finely chopped veggies, and some cheese. If you don't have any pizza dough on hand, toasted english muffins, pita bread or a tortilla work just as well.
- Homemade Popsicles/Icy Poles - it certainly isn't the weather for it here, but in the hot summer months, these are perfect.
- Fancy fritters - make up a basic pancake mix (without sugar) and mix in some finely diced veggies (our favourite is equal amounts of onion, red pepper, beans and corn and a handful of shredded cheese). Place some cookie cutters in a fry pan first to make the fritters fun shapes. Serve with tomato chutney/relish to dip in.
image source: istock photo