Monday, July 16, 2012

Product Review: Revlon Colorstay Nail Polish

I've spoken before on how keeping your mani looking fresh is one way to look instantly polished, and I have been investing in shellac manicures pretty much for the last year, since this is the only way that I've managed to have my nail polish last more than a few hours. But, it is expensive, and worse, I have a lot of concerns about the UV curing it requires, even if I do slather myself with sunscreen first. So I was very excited when I read about Revlon's new Colorstay Nail Polish, which they claim lasts as long as a shellac manicure, when used with the matching base and top coats.


 

Myer recently had a 30% off Revlon sale, so I took the chance and bought the base coat, top coat and colour.  This is my nail polish after one week. The colour is bought was Spanish Moss, which is a gorgeous murky army green, and it has a slight cool shimmer to it, that is not visible without very close inspection, but seems to somehow add depth to the polish. The polish is really great to put on. I used two coats, but just one coat gave completely opaque coverage. The only (tiny) criticism I have was the brush, which seems to pick up a little bit too much product, which meant the application on my first hand was a bit streaky, hence needing a second coat. By the time I got to my other hand, I had got the knack, and one coat would have been enough.

As for wear, I would judge it in between a regular polish and a gel/shellac polish. As you can see, after a week of regular wear (housework, crafts, the usual), the polish still looks pretty good. No chips at all, which for me, is truly amazing. With a normal polish, whether we are talking cheap drugstore, or expensive name brands, I always seem to get a chip within the day.

 

But, as you can see in the pic above, it did start to wear at the nail tips (especially on my right hand) exactly like a gel/shellac polish does, but in this case, after a week rather than the fortnight I usually manage to get from a Shellac mani.

So, would I swap from my Shellac mani? Its a real toss-up.  With my Shellac, I love the fact that my mani is instantly dry. So, clumsy me is at no risk of smudging my fresh mani, I don't have to sit around doing nothing for an hour or so, and as anyone with young children knows, this is a real benefit! Plus, it gives me two weeks of beautiful shiny colour. But, it is expensive, and I am concerned about the UV exposure my hands are getting.

The Revlon Colorstay does give me a full week of polished nails, but I do need to sit around for an hour each time, so I need to factor that in, while balancing it up against the fact that compared to the Shellac, it is so darn cheap! So, like many other things in life, I can either save money or time.  Which is probably my answer - when I have the time, I will save myself the money and go for the Revlon Colorstay.


post signature

Disclaimer: I purchased these products, and all opinions are entirely my own.

2 comments:

superpurplemoon said...

Hi! I recently bought a couple of colors (rich raspberry and marmalade,) plus the base coat and top coat. I've had it on for a couple of days now and if i were wearing my usual polish, i would have seen some chipping by now. I usually wear zoya and orly. like you, i do a lot with my hands so i don't expect polish to last that long on my nails. plus i get bored with having the same color on for more than three days. my zoyas and orlys have great colors but as i've said, they chip easily on me. this however, is very promising. t think, it's the most long-wearing of all the brands i've tried. i agree that the color-selection is very limited. i also wish they made a quick-drying top coat. Over-all i'm loving it!!

Chic Mummy said...

Both those colours look great, and would be perfect here now that the weather is warming up!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Site Designed by Shabby Creations