Spring Summer 15/16 Minimalist Capsule Wardrobe

Its been ages since I published a capsule wardrobe post, and since I have just finished my own capsule wardrobe for spring summer, I thought I would share it with you.

This year's capsule is very different from previous years. My style has really changed, and looking at my pinterest inspiration boards, I could see that I was really leaning towards a more minimalist, clean cut style compared to previous years. I've also included some dressier items into my capsule this year, both to elevate my everyday style slightly, and to cater for the rounds of functions that tends to happen over my spring summer season. Again, I have stuck with the concept of the ten item wardrobe from Jennifer L Scott's book Lessons from Madame Chic, and again, I have more than 10 core items! Having said that, my core item count at 16 is two less than last year (t shirts, sweaters, jackets and accessories count as extras) so I'm feeling pretty good.

Spring Summer 15/16 Capsule Wardrobe

Spring Summer 15/16 Capsule Wardrobe by chicmummy featuring shell tops


These are the items here; all except the black lace dress and the white jacket are the exact items, most of which are currently on sale! As you can see, a lot of grey, black and white, with touches of blue added in.

This season, I focused on quality pieces that had something extra about them. The first three Ann Taylor tops are my nod to the lace trend of this season. They are also great transitional pieces that can be dressed up or down, and when they are worn in more casual outfits, the lace adds that hit of polish that I am looking for. The black and white printed cotton top is from Eileen Fisher, as are the asymmetrical jersey top (bought last year, but still available at a few department stores), the silk jersey tank, the shades of grey and tan silk tunic, and the grey asymmetric silk tunic. I've invested in these pieces over the past couple of years (and lets be honest, they are an investment!) because I really feel that they lift my wardrobe immeasurably.  The silk fabric looks elegant, but is machine washable and so pretty easy to care for. The pieces also swing from casual to dressy very easily, depending on what they are paired back with.

Three of the trousers are also from Eileen Fisher; the black jersey slouchy trousers, the black silk slouchy trousers and the grey denim slouchy trousers. The two black pairs are from last year, but very similar styles are back again this year. Despite being a slow adopter, I've really jumped on to the slouchy trousers bandwagon.  I think they help keep what is mostly a classic wardrobe looking current, they are flattering, and they are incredibly comfortable! The final slouchy pair is a blue and black printed pair from Blue Illusion. These four pants are all ankle length, which I find is the sweet spot for me in summer. They give the appearance of being more summery than a full length pant, but are more flattering on my body type than a true crop.

I do have two full length pants in my capsule, a pair of dark wash jeans and a pair of grey linen tailored trousers. Jeans are a basic for everyone nowadays, and this pair from NYDJ in a dark wash with no distressing can take me from ultra casual to all but the most formal occasions. I purchased the long linen pants as a transition piece. Spring here in Perth can be wildly variable - yesterday was hovering around 22C/71F and raining, while Friday is expected to be 34C/93F and sunny. Layering pieces, and pieces like a long linen pant are crucial in weather like this.

I've only gone for one day dress this year. Last year I had five, and while they do make it super easy to get changed in the morning - one piece and you're done - I did find that I got quite bored of my wardrobe since I was effectively wearing the same outfit over and over and over again. I am hoping mix and match separates will eliminate that problem!

Finally, my extras. I have 4 T shirts (white, navy, black and grey striped), all from Lands End, one light weight longer line cardigan (grey), and one fine knit maxi cardigan, a white blazer, and a black blazer in a metallic thread that looks great in the evening.

And now for just some of the possible outfits!

SS15 Capsule Jersey Pants

SS15 Capsule Jersey Pants by chicmummy featuring a sleeveless tank


Let's start at the ultra casual end, that makes up most of my outfits. Jersey pants by nature are casual, and though they can be dressed up, I am mostly wearing these in casual outfits.  I would wear these outfits running errands, doing the school run, watching the kids play sport. Most of these accessories are old but are still in great condition, so will carry on in this year's rotation. I did update my hat this year (my old one just looked really shabby and has been downgraded to beach hat), the rose gold ear jackets from Mimco are one more nod to a current trend, and the black LV tote was a Mother's Day present this year. I also bought my first pair of Birks, and I can't believe I waited for so long! They are so comfy!!

SS15 Print Harem Pants Outfits

SS15 Print Harem Pants Outfits by chicmummy featuring slide sandals

These harem pants from Blue Illusion are just that little step up from the jersey pants. BTW, Blue Illusion calls them harem pants, but really, they are only glimpsing in the direction of harem - they are definitely what I would call a slouch pant. The print is made up of a few different shades of blue as well as black, and they look really good with white, shades of blue and black because of that.  While these outfits are all still fall at the casual, everyday end of the spectrum for my lifestyle, I could quickly swap the Birks for some ballet flats, and I would happily wear these outfits to work (I do not work in a corporate environment, though!).  Through on the white blazer and some heels, and I would be all set for meetings with our customers, or a parent teacher conference.

SS15/16 Smart Casual Outfits

SS15/16 Smart Casual Outfits by chicmummy featuring Ann Taylor


Lastly, here are some examples of how I can use this capsule wardrobe to take me to some dressier occasions. These would be great for an evening out to the ballet with my daughter, or a fun party, and I would even feel comfortable wearing the final outfit, with the silk slouchy pants, to a semi formal event.  In all of these outfits, it is the choice of fabric, be it lace or silk, paired with wise choices in accessories, that take pieces that I will wear on an everyday basis, and elevate them to something special. These little ghillie flats are also a new buy this season, and you will see them everywhere, at all different price points. Since I've had kids, I spend most of my life in flats, and needed a pair of dressier flats to could take me out to cocktail parties, since I honestly can't bear standing in high heels for any length of time anymore!  These flats from Robert Robert fit the bill perfectly since not only do they look great, but they feel great, too.

Just so you can see how versatile this wardrobe is, here are some more outfits for you:

SS 15/16 Minimalist Capsule Outfits

SS 15/16 Minimalist Capsule Outfits by chicmummy featuring Nina Ricci









Linking to these great websites here


Labels: , , , , , ,